Saturday, December 8, 2007

Veggie Cheese Chowder

I got this great recipe from my mom. It's one of my favorites, and I'd always request this one for my birthday meal.
  • 4 cups cubed potatoes
  • 2 cups sliced carrots
  • 2 cups chopped celery
  • 1/2 cup minced onion
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 10oz. package frozen broccoli
  • 3 Tbsp. chicken base
  • 3 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup margarine
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 Tbsp. dry mustard
  • 1 lb. Velveeta cheese

Prepare first 4 ingredients. Place in large stew pot, add salt & water. Cook until veggies are tender (about 20 minutes). Add broccoli, chicken base, & milk. Simmer 5 more minutes. In a separate pan melt margarine. Add flour & mustard to margarine to create roux. Add roux to soup & stir until thickened. Cut cheese into cubes; add to soup. Stir until cheese is melted. Keep hot (do not boil!) until ready to serve. Yummy!!!

No comments: