Friday, February 8, 2008

Baked Ravioli

I got this one from my sister who got it from Martha Stewart. It is easy & one of my favorite dishes to make AND eat! Plus, the sauce is like a homemade marinara sauce & would be good with any Italian or pasta dish you like; chicken parmesan, spaghetti & meatballs, etc... I love it!


2 Tblsp. Olive Oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme, or oregano
1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes
2 lbs. store-bought cheese ravioli (I like the small round ones instead of the big square ones)
1/2 c. grated parmesan
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 c. shredded mozzarella
course salt & ground pepper, to taste


Preheat oven to 425*. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion & garlic, & season w/ salt & pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened (about 5 minutes). Add thyme & tomatoes. Bring to boil, reduce heat, & simmer, breaking tomatoes with a spoon, until sauce is thickened & reduced to about 5 1/2 cups. (20-25 minutes)

Meanwhite, cook ravioli in large pot of boiling water (salted) just until they float to the top. Drain pasta; return to pot.

Toss sauce with pasta. Pour pasta into a large gratin dish or 9x13 baking dish, & sprinkle with cheeses. Bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.


NOTE: I actually leave the thyme/oregano out. I don't always love those tastes very strong, and I think it tastes awesome without it. Also, if you want to add meat to this dish you can. I tried the other day adding 1 pound of ground sausage and it was really good! I cooked the sausage on the stove, tossed it with the ravioli & sauce & stuck it all in the oven. So you can have it vegetarian or add whatever kind of meat you'd prefer -the perfect meal! :) Enjoy!

1 comment:

Hailey said...

Sounds excellent! I can't wait to try it. I am always looking for new pasta dishes.